Monday, January 22, 2007

The Thirteenth Tale

Our book for January 2007 was The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield. It is a "Stacy Pick."

Click on the book to learn more at Amazon.




Menu: hot dutch oven ginger cake and cream, gingerbread, Hershey's Goodnight Kisses Hot Cocoa, scones and honey butter, crackers with British cheeses and lemon spread, and mini cheesecakes

The website for The Thirteenth Tale is great! If you've read the book be sure to look at the site. There are spoilers on the site, so those who haven't read the book yet, you've been warned!

For those looking for more information on the Gothic novel, check out the following sites:

4 comments:

  1. This was a great book and it generated a lot of good discussion. Punched out of the Gothic mold, The Thirteenth Tale takes an immediate departure from the cookie cutter plots and makes the reader feel as though this is the first Gothic novel he's ever read. This is an impressive first showing for author Diane Setterfield, and now her only difficulty will be producing a second novel with the same "wow" factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! I love gothic novels and this one does not disappoint! This is one of my favorites of all that we've read so far. This book has stayed with me for weeks beyond its reading. I didn't EVER have a problem picking it up; I've only struggled with putting it down!

    The book's website is a very fun treat *after* you've read the book. No peeking! There are plot spoilers there, so hold off until you've read it. I highly recommend this book.

    If you like Jane Eyre,, Rebecca, Shadow of the Wind, and the like, you'll love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boquinha: Thanks for commenting on The Jason Show today regarding our book club list. This website is fantastic, and you're right, we share some favorites. I chose to leave my comment here because The Thirteenth Tale is my most favorite of all.

    The next time it is my turn to choose a book for our club, I'm coming right back here. This month is my turn and I've chosen The Poisonwood Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jason. This is one of my favorites, too. :)

    ReplyDelete